An Air compressor is a machine that has been found to be quite useful in multiple tasks, may it be an industrial task or a home-based task. . Air compressors are being used with air tools for quite a long time now. The expanding use of air compressors arises the need of knowing how to adjust its parts correctly.
One such part is the pressure regulator which forms a significant component of the air compressor. Adjusting the air compressor might seem a tedious and strenuous task but fortunately, it is not. Let us take you all through the detailed and extensive guide on pressure regulators, their functionality, and most importantly, the adjustability.
About Pressure Regulators
Pressure regulators do the job of controlling the airflow rate at the outlet. This makes it one of the most prime components in an air compressor, necessary to keep them running. It is an electronic display that displays the pressure in psi. This is essential as every air tool comes with a specified psi rating. You are required to calibrate it with that of the compressor. If you are unable to do that, this would result in failure in functioning.
You might be wondering if every air compressor comes with a pressure regulator. Its significance and importance make it present in almost all air compressors. The ones without it have certain other components added which ensures smooth and trouble-free functionality.
Why Do We Require the Accurate Pressure?
The simple answer to this is safety and protection. Yes, we need to know the accurate pressure due to safety considerations. This will prevent us to take the compressor to its upper limit. Doing so will result in damage to the air compressor or even a small blast. This is the reason why you are required to set the regulator with accurate pressure.
Adjusting Air Compressor Pressure Regulator- A Complete Guide
Before starting off with the adjustment of the pressure regulator, you have required to fix the settings. You need to make sure that the settings are calibrated accurately. If you are feeling the need to reset the settings, consider going through the manual. This will provide you with a better idea regarding the model of the air compressor and its manufacturing. Some models advise you to go for a fixed value of differential that is stated below the switch if the regulator. Below is the detailed guide to adjusting the pressure regulator. Dive in!
- Safety is an important concern and therefore we will first advise you to unplug your air compressor from the power plug to avoid any unfortunate incidents.
- After unplugging, you are required to set up two pressure points which are cut-in and cut-out. You are required to use screws in order to set them in. The one for the cut-in is available on the side of the motor.
- Next, plug the air compressor into the power supply socket.
- If you think you should specify a new cut-in pressure point, you will have to empty the tank completely. This can be accomplished by using drain value or either you can employ other air equipment. However, if you do not want to specify a new cut-in, you can wait until the tanks get all filled up.
- Once, the tank gets completely filled, it is time to make the connection between the hose of the compressor and the tool you have to use. Now comes the most important task i.e adjusting the pressure regulator.
- The regulator knob’s position will depend largely on the model. It is usually on the right side of the regulator. The suggested distance between cut-in and cut-out pressure points should be in the range of 25-35 psi. Another thing that should be observed is that the pressure of the cut-out should be larger in value than that of the cut-in pressure point.
- While adjusting the pressure regulator, turn the screw clockwise in order to increase the pressure. Likewise, turn in anticlockwise to decrease the pressure.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I adjust the air pressure on my air compressor?
In order to perfectly adjust the air pressure on your air compressor, fill up the tank of the compressor with ample air. Next, you are required to check the compatibility of the air compressor with the tool by the pressure(psi) rating. You are required to push the knob. This will unlock it. This has to be done only when essential. Turning the knob clockwise will cause an increase in pressure and turning the knob anti-clockwise will result in decreasing pressure levels. After adjusting, push the knob again to lock it.
How does an air compressor pressure relief valve work?
The relief values provided in air compressors are very uncomplicated and simple mechanisms. They have a spring that is loaded inside them. The spring is provided for safety purposes. As soon as the pressure coming in from the inlet exceeds that of the spring load, the valve specified for safety opens and lets the air leak in the outside environment.
Can you adjust a pressure release valve?
The majority of the pressure relief valves are equipped with a nut that can be locked or unlocked. You can easily turn the adjustment screws together with a knob or bolt once you unlock this nut. Afterward, you can perform the necessary adjustments. If you are doing it for residential purposes, you are indicating a pressure that is lower than 80 psi.
With several other vital components integrated into an air compressor, the pressure regulator also is one of the prime ones. It holds the job of directing the air’s flow on the outside environment. Adjusting the pressure regulator is essential for the smooth functioning of the air tool. In order to adjust it, one is required to set cut-in and cut-out pressure points and define a fine difference between them. Lastly, you have to move the screw clockwise and anti-clockwise depending on whether you want to increase or decrease the pressure.